Playing the Course
The Old Golf Course in Musselburgh, East Lothian, is generally accepted as being one of the oldest golf courses in the world and was home to The Honourable Company Of Edinburgh Golfers.
The earliest documentation of golf being playing on Musselburgh Links is from 1672, however, it has been reputed that Mary, Queen of Scots played on Musselburgh even earlier in 1567.
In its dominant days Musselburgh Links had a regular, undisputed slot in the Open Championship circuit.
During their stay at Musselburgh Links in the nineteenth century, the Honourable Company sponsored and ran six Open Championships. During one of these events Willie Park shot a course record of 32.
Musselburgh is currently a publicly owned course, administered by East Lothian Council.
Musselburgh Links Old Course
Musselburgh Links was originally seven holes, with another added in 1838 and the full nine-holes coming into play in 1870. The first three holes stretch eastwards from the grandstand at the racecourse
At the fourth green there still stands Mrs Foreman’s Inn. There used to be a hatch in the wall through which refreshments could be passed to the early golfers.
The course turns northwest with the next three holes following the coastline and the eighth returning south towards the Home Hole, which is now the present first hole.
Musselburgh Links, The Old Golf Course