Playing the Course
The Royal Dublin Golf Club was instituted at a meeting held at No. 19 Grafton Street in May 1885, pioneered by a Scottish banker – John Lumsden.
Originally called Dublin Golf Club, (it received its Royal designation in 1891 – when there were 250 members paying £2 annual subscription. in 1889 moved to its present home on Bull Island (the name is derived from the locality, Clontarf, which in Gaelic is Cluain Tairbh meaning the Bull’s Meadow).
The Royal Dublin Golf Course
The Royal Dublin Golf Club has hosted many Irish championships, starting with the Irish Amateur Open back in 1894. The Royal Dublin Golf Club hosted The Carrolls Irish Open from 1983-1985 with Seve Ballesteros winning in 1983 and 1985 and Bernhard Langer winning in 1984. The Club has also regularly hosted the Irish Amateur Close and the Irish PGA.