Playing Royal Aberdeen
Royal Aberdeen Golf Club was founded in 1780 as the Society of Golfers at Aberdeen and became the Aberdeen Golf Club in 1815.
Until 1888, members played on the Queen’s Links close to the city, before moving across the River Don to the links at Balgownie. The Club’s ‘Royal’ designation was then awarded by Edward V11 in 1903.
The course was originally designed by the Simpson Brothers, Archie and Robert of Carnoustie and later re-bunkered and lengthened by esteemed architect, James Braid. Hawtree & Company is presently engaged as the club’s architects to ensure these classic links keeps pace with the modern game.
A major European Tour event finally arrived in Balgownie in 2014.
Defending Champion Phil Mickleson, world number one Rory McIlroy and the cream of golf competed for the prestigious title of AAM Scottish Open Champion.
In the end England’s, Justin Rose held off a strong challenge from Sweden’s, Kristoffer Broberg, to triumph with four sub 70 rounds and a 16 under par total of 268. The quality of Rose’s play was reminiscent of Nick Faldo’s masterful performance in winning The Open at St Andrews in 1990.
Royal Aberdeen Golf Links
A traditional old Scottish links, the course runs out and back along the North Sea shore.
The outward nine (which is acknowledged as one of the finest in links golf anywhere in the world) cuts its way through some wonderful dune formation. The inland nine returns south over the flatter plateau.
The ever-changing wind, tight-protected greens and a magnificent finish, makes Balgownie a test for the very best. It was highly praised by participants in the 2005 Senior British Open.
Bridge of Don,