The Old Course St. Andrews, otherwise referred to as ‘The Home of Golf’ is located on the East coast of Scotland in the Kingdom of Fife and is a must for all avid golfers who should make the pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime. While it is one thing getting the opportunity to play here, it is quite another to make the occasion a memorable one in scoring terms.
The Old Course was founded in 1764 (18 holes) and was designed by both Mother Nature, Daw Anderson, Dr Alister MacKenzie and the great Old Tom Morris. The Old Course originally consisted of twenty-two holes, eleven out and eleven back. The player would tee up 2 club lengths away from the previous hole making use of a pile of sand to tee up the ball. It was not until 1764, the Society of St Andrews Golfers, which later became the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, decided that some holes were too short and combined them. This reduced the course to eighteen holes and created what became the standard round of golf throughout the world.
The Old Course has many unique features, one of which is the double greens. When the Old Course evolved, the track through the whin bushes was so narrow that golfers had to play to the same greens going out as coming in. From this the concept of double greens was born.The greens were made larger and 2 holes were cut in each green and marked with a white flag for the first nine and a red flag for the second nine.
The Open Championship was first played on the Old Course at St. Andrews in 1873 with the latest staging in 2015 producing a thrilling win for Zach Johnson. The European Tour's Dunhill Links Championship, attracting a host of Hollywood A-listser, sports stars and celebrities such as Samuel L Jackson, Catherine Zeta Jones, Bill Murray, Hugh Grant, and Michael Phelps has been played over the Old Course, Kingsbarns and Carnoustie since 1985.
Executive Golf and Leisure
2 Inverallan Road
Bridge of Allan
Tel: + 44 (0) 1786 832244
Sign up to Executive Golf and Leisure to receive all our latest golf packages and offers.